Are you showing up as your true authentic self or as society’s acceptable self? Wouldn’t it be powerful to show up as your authentic version and travel a different path than what society deems acceptable? We’re often rewarded for being acceptable and the lines of acceptability and authenticity aren’t too far apart when we’re young. But they get further apart as we get older, and the further apart they get, the bitter and angry we become.
In this episode of the For Kick-ass Women Only podcast, we talk about acceptability and the high cost of showing up inauthentically. To start showing up authentically, you have to address your fears and do it anyway even when others around you aren’t making it easier for you to do so.
Listen in to learn about the negative impacts of showing up inauthentically and the steps to help you start showing yourself as who you truly are.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN:
- [0:48] Intro
- [1:53] How we all yearn to be loved and accepted as our authentic selves and what stops us.
- [5:56] How we’re taught to put on the mask of acceptability rather than showing up authentically.
- [8:24] The energy it consumes to put up with people and situations that are out of alignment with who you are.
- [10:27] Why not showing up authentically will lead to people not appreciating who you really are.
- [11:30] The long-term negative consequences of showing up unauthentically.
- [13:02] Steps on how to start showing up authentically in a society that tries to put you in a box.
- [14:46] Choose authenticity since it’s the only way to achieve something real as a woman.
- “Our desire to be loved, validated, and accepted can sometimes outweigh or overshadow our desire to show up authentically.”– Kathy [4:44]
- “It takes a lot of compromises to put up with people and situations that are out of alignment with who we truly are.”– Kathy [10:10]
- “If you don’t show up authentically, don’t expect for anyone to appreciate who you are deep inside because you’re not showing them that side of you.”– Kathy [10:58]
- “If you want to live authentically, you can’t wait around for others to make things okay for you to do so.”– Kathy [11:35]
- “Don’t let your unaddressed fears be the reason you don’t show up authentically.”– Kathy [14:41]